Thursday, August 27, 2015

Beach House: Depression Cherry

8.5/10    Must Hear

Beach House's music has always been a towering figure to me in music.  I came to them by the time they were chasing the biggest sound they could get, and while I always had admiration for being so impeccably crafted and huge it was exactly that which stood in the way of a possibility of loving them deeply.  It was dream pop that I could not fade into.  Depression Cherry marks a step back from their huge blown out song, and allows more space for the entrance I wanted.  "and the unknown will surround you" Captures the ease with which Levitation slips me into the world through its hypnotic organs.  Then a distorted guitar unlike and I've heard from beach house tears over a loop that slowly fades to the backgrounds.  Space Song close out the strongest three song stretch of their career with a guitar that feels like a neon string winding through the cosmos rather than the grinding flare of Sparks.  Depression Cherry's spacey elegance gives room for the genius of these simple ideas to flourish and take hold of your mind almost in the way you fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment